Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Ealing Half Marathon 2015


There I stood; beneath the trees lining the path that lead down to the main field; watching the mist rise slowly revealing sponsor stall after sponsor stall; taking in as much as I could from this experience.
One or two other runners; who had also arrived early; strolled around casually, a few more sat on the grass; beneath other trees; reading books or listening to music through their headphones.  

It was the morning of the 2014 Ealing Half Marathon; my first official half marathon race; and the scene was remarkably calm compared with the bundle of nerves that were flushing around within my stomach.  

I hadn’t known what to expect; I was there on my own; had the largest kit bag I could have ever have chosen to fill; extra clothing, some food, a reading book and a beer for celebrating at the end.

Everything bundled together throughout the day, I made all the common rookie mistakes; wore too much gear, placed myself in the wrong starting area, flew out of the blocks too quickly, didn’t look at the route before the run; which meant that I didn’t know about just how hilly the route was, and therefore suffered a little when I did hit the hilly sections, etc etc etc…

I finished that race; just about; in a time of 1:52:29; found the friends that had come to see me there at the end and literally collapsed at their feet as I fought to gather my breath.  

Roll the clock forward one year; four half marathons, one marathon, four 10k races and one 5k Spartan obstacle race; and you end up right back in the same place; Sunday, September 27th; and the morning of the 2015 Ealing Half Marathon.  

I wasn’t as early as I was the year before. I didn’t have time to take in the atmosphere, or the serenity of a misty Sunday morning. No, this time I managed to park my car in the lot that I know of near Ealing Broadway tube station (£1 for the entire day!! Brilliant value); rushed down to the event location, threw my bag into the baggage tent; ran up to the starting block and got into position just before the starting time of 9am. Thankfully we started a little late though due to waiting for the course to be made 100% clear.

I hate starting races like that. I like to get there, get settled in, have a walk around, do some people watching, pick out the newbies, have a giggle as I think back to when I first started, and how I used to be just like those few people who are clearly attending their first proper event. I thought back to that ridiculously huge bag I had; how much I’ve learned over the last year etc…! 

Eventually we set off, slowly getting across the start line and heading on up the road, 13.1 miles of nostalgic bliss; 21.1km of efficiently timed; paced out; running. I was not letting this run beat me; Kimbolton beat me; GNR beat me; Ealing was not going to do the same; my Puma Points Challenge team deserved a Captains’ effort; my Running Bug history deserved a super users’ effort; and the event itself deserved the respect of a well thought out plan.

It was on!  

My current HM PB was sitting at 01:32:37, and had been that way since July. I hadn’t actually set a PB for any distance through the month of August; a big no no in my books since I have set at least one personal best at some point through each month of the year so far and I was due a personal best!  

I had set myself the target of finishing in a time of 01:31:30; that would be a pacing per kilometre of 4:21; I figured I could manage that comfortably. I sat with my notebook through Saturday night, working out the different 5k and 10k sectors; all I needed to do was run each 5km sector in 21:56, this subsequently meant two 10k split times of 43:52 respectively.

These split times would get me to 20km in a time of 01:27:00 leaving me 4mins and 30seconds in which to complete the additional 1.1km to complete the distance, and hit my target.

Not only was I certain that I could run the 5k sectors, in the time I had stipulated, but if I struggled to run two 10k splits in nearly 44mins each, then there would have definitely been something wrong. It was the final 1.1km in 4:30 that concerned me; I knew that at some point I would need to take a kilometre at pace in order to remove that from the equation.

All of this math was running through my head, it had been for a couple of days already, all this math for someone who didn’t even do math at school; oh how my old teachers would have stood jaw to the floor if they could see me now!  

We crossed the first kilometre in 4:20; job done; let’s keep it that way. I clenched my fist; gave the air a little punch and allowed myself a bit of a positive mental boost. We crossed kilometres two and three in exactly the same pace times; I was running perfectly. For some reason I increased the pace through the fourth as it dropped to 4:09, but a little bit of an incline up and over into the fifth brought that pace back in line at 4:21. It was still on; it was still good; and I was still feeling right on the money. The fifth kilometre lead down into the sixth; obviously; and I was flying, but I didn’t want to get carried away and held back a little until I suddenly thought about that final 1.1km; the kilometre that required a faster pace!

“Why not bust that out now?” I asked myself; we had just crossed the first 5km sector in 21:30; 26seconds inside of my target time; effectively 26seconds in the bank!

“Turn it on Dorsett; use this to your advantage while you can!”

I didn’t push myself to my limit; I didn’t want to make the mistakes of previous races; it was still too early for that but I still managed a 4:01 through that sixth kilometre. I actually found myself running with the 1hr30 pacers and thought about sticking with them for a while, but I knew that that would mean running at about 4:15pkm for the rest of the run, and I wasn’t mentally prepared for that since I had geared everything towards running a complete average of 4:21.  

I must quickly say, the pacers at EHM are awesome. They operate as a two man team and guide their followers through each section of the route really well. As I ran with them for a little we hit a minor incline; “RIGHT; 130 FINISHERS!” one of them shouted; “LET’S TAKE THIS LITTLE HILL AND THEN IT’S OVER AND DOWN FOR A GOOD FEW KILOMETRES. KEEP IT GOING; YOU’RE DOING WELL!”  

“Right Andrew; time to pull back a little now and just compose yourself, let’s not get carried away with this group!” so I let them go.

It was a lesson well learned from my visit here last year. Last year I tried to stick with the 1:50 pacers, felt that they were running too easily and flew off up ahead only to end up struggling and then watching the pacer come flying by me with about 5k to go. It was soul destroying to watch them go past me as they did and I wasn’t letting that happen to me again so I did as I said to myself and just pulled back a little. 

I went through seven, eight and nine with relative ease; watching my pace and allowing a little comfort with splits of 4:12; 4:25 & 4:23 respectively. I was still well within the target pace and then completed the tenth kilometre in a faster time again of 4:12 which meant that I had completed the first 10k sector in 42:43; a clear 1:09 within target pace; but the heat was beginning to play on the body; the traffic became a little congested, and the route was getting a little more technical with a lot of sharp turns left and right. It was here that I started feeling a buzzing sensation through my head, something wasn’t right. I felt this same thing at GNR to be honest, and I’m pretty sure it’s due to the fact that I am simply not hydrating well enough through the race as I don’t really take on any fluids as I run; so I grabbed a bottle at the next water station, had a few sips and soon felt much better. Note to self really; don’t be an idiot; take on water!  

Kilometres eleven through sixteen are all very up and down and my times reflected that, but I was still not going too badly; and was actually running fairly strong, but there was an issue; I had a nuisance in my ears which was putting me off my stride!

There was a guy who had been running alongside me for a kilometre or two and the sound that he was generating was just putting me off so much. I know it isn’t nice to say; and I’m not trying to sound nasty or anything; but the force with which he was slamming his feet into the ground was really bugging me. All I could think was that he was the reason people moan about sore knees; which felt even more applicable as I looked at his legs and noticed both knees heavily strapped.

“Maybe try being a little more light on your feet and you wouldn’t need those straps mate!” I thought to myself, and then couldn’t take it anymore and just popped the pace a little in order to break away from him and his big, heavy shoes slamming the ground with each bounding stride that he took.

Thankfully he couldn’t keep up, and my focus soon returned to the near silence of my own footfall and evenly paced breathing. Thankfully; I was getting back on track.  

As we entered the final sector of the race and kicked back a SiS gel that I had; nicely hidden away in my pocket; ready for the final 5k race. The pace began to pick up again and it was time to start working out the math as the race drew to a close. “Would I have enough time to get this done in time?”

“How many kilometres did we have left, and how much time did I have left in which to finish them?”

“About 3k to go, and approximately fourteen minutes in which to do them.”

That worked out to 3km @ 4:30pkm with a 30second sprint over the final 100m; IF the course was accurate!

That pace; over that distance; was easily achievable, and after having a little bit of a panic due to suddenly not feeling very strong for some reason, the gel from a kilometre or so back started to kick in.

I felt the energy shiver through my legs. I started to revel in the knowledge that I now had a PB in the bag, but I didn’t want to get carried away with myself. I knew the ending of this course; I remember it being a very sneaky; and a somewhat false finale!  

The final kilometre starts; pretty much; on the starting area and leads you down into; and through; Lammas’ Park. It takes you down the pathway through the park for about 500m through the trees with a slight bend to the left and continue on for another few hundred metres. You then take another left, only this time a more sharply and ground kicks up ever so slightly. It’s about 400m to the end from here and the very gradual incline feels like it goes on for double the distance before kicking you off onto the grass for the final 100m and across the finish line.

The entire way through that final kilometre had me glancing at my watch constantly; watching as the seconds ticked over ever nearer to my current PB time. I was tired, and I felt a little sickly, but as I saw the time cross over my target of 1:31:30 I kicked one last time and sprinted for that line, clenching my fist and shouting at the timing mats as I stopped my watch.

I wasn’t 100% certain that I had achieved a new PB given that I always go by the official chip times for race situations, and am used to courses not being exact to the distance on my watch, but things looked pretty bang on this time.  

I had cross the line with the exact distance for a half marathon, if there was a difference at all, it wouldn’t be by much. I was confident of a personal best, but I kept my composure and waited for the official results to come through later in the day; hopefully!  

It was a strange way to finish my race though to be honest; nobody there for me; no friends, no family, in a place that I had once called home yet felt like just another person that had journeyed into London to complete another run. I took a few minutes to myself to just reflect on the run, run through my post run routine of stretches etc… and then made my way to the barriers and tape so that I could provide my own support to those still coming in behind me.

As I stood amongst different crowds of “supporters” I shouted and clapped as loudly as I could for those still running, and then barked at the people stood idly by; not cheering, or clapping, or doing anything! Just stood looking at me as if I were on some kind of drug!  

“Show some support dammit, don’t just look at me like I’m a raving lunatic, these people are doing something awesome!” … I get annoyed when people just stand in groups of silence not cheering; why stand there if you aren’t going to support. Don’t get me wrong, the support at EHM is good, I just get annoyed when groups of people stand there literally

I made my way further and further up the line, clapping all the way, stopping every few meters to shout words of encouragement to the strangers running past everybody; trying to urge more of those around me to get louder. One other runner ahead of me was cheering just as much though as we both walked and stopped at roughly the same times.

“Top support that man up ahead!” I shouted at him. The guy turned, and returned the compliment. We high fived and introduced ourselves to one another. Rashad was his name, a Bangladeshi born gent schooled in the States. He had also completed the run in a PB time; “beat my time by about 6mins!” he said.

“Awesome; what was your time” I asked.

“1:24!”

“Wowsers!! That’s awesome, well done you!”

We walked together back up into Ealing Broadway, discussing our histories in running, and how we came to be at this point that we were at. It turned out that he was actually an ultra-runner and had completed a number of 100k events, but had only recently taken up running official half marathons! I was grateful to myself for making my initial comment to him about his level of support for those finishing after us. If I hadn’t sparked the conversation it would have been a much more lonely walk back into the broadway, and it really helped to remove that level of lonely nostalgia that had tried to work its way into the end of my run.   

I got into my car, sat for a minute, allowing myself a last little bit of reflection on the entire morning.

For some reason it almost felt as if it were the last time I would sitting there really. There isn’t anybody left in the neighbourhood for me to have a reason to visit anymore, and I had achieved my goal of beating my previous time by some margin.

I started the car and drove off, back on the road to home where I awaited my official chip time.  

When my official time did eventually come through I was over the moon. Not only had I beaten my time, and set a new personal best of 01:31:52, but I had managed to start; and stop; my watch at exactly the right times as the timing technology. My chip time matched my Garmin details to the second! I’m a stickler for details like that so it just rounded my entire day off rather nicely.  

It had been a great day. It had had its moments, its ups and its downs. It had me worried, it had me feeling confident, a complete mixed bag of emotions, but in the end everything had been an overwhelming success. If anybody ever has any thoughts about running the Ealing Half, I would do it; it really is a good route, and it is very well organised.

So that was that, my circle complete, EHM ’14-’15, I had; as said; achieved the goal of beating my first time by a significant margin. I had earned a personal best for my Puma Points Challenge team; Team Momentum; but this leaves just one more target to hit.

One more race to be treated with an air of competitiveness.

The target of the sub 90 half.

My home town race; Sunday, November the 15th.

The St Neots Half Marathon.

#EalingFeeling

#TeamMomentum

#PUMApoints

#therunningbug

#WhatsInTheBox

#RoadToSub90

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment